Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Help with Military scammer

This section deals specifically with online romance scams. The images used by the scammers are stolen from innocent people, usually from their social media pages.

Help with Military scammer

Unread postby Lostmyreason » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:20 pm

So this scam has taken a hold with my spouse, started out with the normal stuff, can you send money to this person, but apple gift cards etc. Which she did some of but did not buy into it totally thankfully.

The name given does not match anyone with the other details which is another red flag.

Tried to talk her out of further engagement but has not worked. She has communicated with him for a year and now he is "getting out" of the military and is coming to the states.

So here is where I am at she wants to meet him to see if who she has been talking to is real so she can validate or invalidate her time investment.

The individual states they are in the UN - Major is his rank he is in charge of 8 guys and goes out on nightly patrols with him and a driver in a vehicle and the others walking.

He has professed his love and has even stated for the past 2 months for her to pick out an engagement ring.

She is not buying that but becuase they have exchanged "stories" she is interested in possibly exploring that.

He is allegadlly due back to the us tomorrow in DC to sort out his reitrement.

So my questions are about the following.
1. How long do these guys keep the tale - talk going without getting any cash or reward?
2. How often have scammers actually met with the victims in the home country of the victim?
3. If scammer has met the victim has the victim come to harm?

Thank you
Lostmyreason
New survivor

Re: Help with Military scammer

Unread postby firefly » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:55 pm

Most of the fraudsters doing military romance scams will never met their victims in real life.

Their lies will go as long as there are money to be gained. Even if the victim has no money left, they will try to involve that victim in money laundry - receiving payments sent by other victims and re-sending those payment to the fraudster. The victim may end up in jail, while the fraudster will scam someone else.

If they don't get money, they will adjust their story to involve the victim in the procedure I described above. Or they spend more time learning about the victim and using everything they learned against that victim.

If the victim invested already a year in the scammer, you can very much be sure that she is entirely under his control. She was making more payments as the ones you are aware of. Even if she refuses to pay, the scammer will find his way around and sooner or later she will be paying again.

Check the pictures received online - 100% sure they were reported before for being used in similar frauds. Those pictures are stolen. She is not communicating with that person, she is communicating with someone pretending to be that person. Check also online his email address and phone number.

Copy-paste lines for the most personal letters received, between quotes, in Google, and you will find the same lines, word by word, posted all over the Internet.

You can also send to me some of the details / pictures / documents received form the scammer and I can check it for you - my email address is below. Fair warning: if he is a scammer all those details will be posted here.

If he asked for money and she met him online only there is no doubt he is a scammer. How many times she sent money or not is irrelevant. For this to end, she need to really want it ending, giving up the fantasy she is paying for.
Help yourself by helping others - report your scammer here.
Google can be your best friend;use it if you have doubts about someone met online. If someone met online only asks for money, no matter what reason, it´s 100% scam.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26504
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Unread postby Lostmyreason » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:36 pm

I do agree with you in regards that she is under his control.

I do not have access to everything but I will share what I have so others can avoid this person.

The pictures she got I did tineye and they have been used all over the place and seem to tie back to Royal Navy Leading Seaman (LS) Stephen Murphy (UK) so not sure how useful that would be.

I will provide additional information later .. current user ID is Denzeljosh1 so if anyone has information on him.

I am also concerned about how long this can drag out with him pulling the strings .. never showing up etc.

I am fairly certain she is not sending anything else but I did find a web search about local bitcoin.

We discussed what is going on in regards to money laundering etc, used to work in Banking and there is training I had to take for that so I understand the concepts involved.

Thank you for the detailed response and I will add the information I can as soon as I can.
Lostmyreason
New survivor

Unread postby Big Al » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:28 pm

There is a topic on our site concerning stolen images of Stephen Murphy. You might encourage her to read that topic.

From the scammers end, he will continue to lie and explain as long as there is something to be gained by it. Money or possibly even a Green Card if she confronts the scammer telling him she knows he is a scammer.

He may confess that he is a scammer but has fallen in love with her and really does want to marry her.

Scammers have married their victims in order to get a green card. Once they cannot be deported then they divorce the victim taking as much of their money as possible in the process.
"Look for the lies."
Being Blackmailed? Go here and do this first: https://blackmailscams.com/
The information you supply can help others from becoming Victims.
Big Al
"Little pee nut" admin.

Unread postby Lostmyreason » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:33 am

That is the thing she knows about the pictures and where they potentially come from .. i.e. stolen.

Tonight I like you said Firefly I stumbled across evidence of her transferring money to get his release.

I am absolutely floored by this, she is smarter than this.

So how do I help her and myself get out of this mess, she will not know I know about the new additional money being sent so I have to tread carefully.

And recomendations are welcome.
Lostmyreason
New survivor

Unread postby firefly » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:06 am

Stolen pictures from the same gallery are reported here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =11&t=2142.

This is the type of people we manged to identify hiding behind such stolen pictures: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =21&t=1861.

Ask her to take a look. Ask her to check herself in Google the messages received from him, using " " - the ones where he talks about himself and the ones where he is professing his "love".

If she refuses even doing that, I am afraid there is nothing you can do. You cannot help her if she doesn't want to help herself.

She is smarter than this, but what you need to keep in mind is that a romance scam is a successful social engineering operation. The scammer had a year to identify all the needed elements in her character and behavior to control her. She will wake up sooner or later, but usually that is happening after she lost everything or when she is ready to go to jail for being accomplice in the fraud the scammer orchestrates against other victims while using her as a pawn.

You can ask her also to read this: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=37058. From a former romance scam victim, now survivor, to an actual scam victim. I wish her the needed strength to cut the contact. If not, as long as the scammer is able to communicate with her, he will always know what strings to pull for making her jump.
Google can be your best friend;use it if you have doubts about someone met online. If someone met online only asks for money, no matter what reason, it´s 100% scam.
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Unread postby Lostmyreason » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:36 pm

I justed emaild you firefly with details about this individual. Thank you.
Lostmyreason
New survivor

Unread postby firefly » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:41 pm

I received your email. Thank you.
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Unread postby Lostmyreason » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:33 pm

Hello Firefly I just sent you some additional information about the person in question.

Thank you.
Lostmyreason
New survivor

Unread postby firefly » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:14 pm

Got the details, Lostmyreason. Thank you.
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Return to Romance scams.