Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Blog archive.

Blog posts and news about the site.

Blog archive.

Unread postby Wayne » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:15 pm

As part of some tweaks we're doing on the site, I'm going to move a bunch of our old blog posts onto our forum. These were all previously posted at https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blog/
Click HERE for webcam blackmail/sextortion help.
Do NOT email me for sextortion help. Use the link above. If you ignore this, your message WILL be deleted.
Wayne
Site owner/"cruel and sarcastic" admin.

Re: Blog archive.

Unread postby Wayne » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:16 pm

I’m not saying scammers are greedy, but….

Taken from viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88889

And the only fee needed now from you is $26,950

Note:Upon receipt of this mail you have 72 hours to send the said fees to procured the document to avoid final confiscation of the funds so you have to respond quickly to advise you with the information’s to send it to,

What more do I need to say?
Do NOT email me for sextortion help. Use the link above. If you ignore this, your message WILL be deleted.
Wayne

Unread postby Wayne » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:16 pm

“Cash Baiting”.

I was recently in a conversation that brought up cash baiting. Let me first explain what cash baiting is. It’s essentially baiting a scammer into sending you money. The person that does it may keep it or donate it to charity. Either way, cash baiting is wrong. I’m sure I’ve covered this before, but let me explain again.

The main issue with cash baiting is that the scammer isn’t the one sending the money, nor is he the one losing out due to it.

Remember that the scammer (or scammer group) isn’t only working one person at a time. We know this as a fact due to our interactions with them. Let’s call the baiter (or person who “scams the scammers” as the media love to refer to them as) A. The scammer, we’ll refer to as B. Finally, a victim totally unrelated to the interactions between A and B we’ll call C. A asks B for money as part of “scamming the scammer”. B spins a story to C, coming up with a sob story as to why they need money and asks C to send A money. They claim that A is working for them in some capacity, so any money they receive can be collected by them. A receives money, but it’s been sent by C and not B. B hasn’t lost a single red nickel. When C realises they’ve been scammed however, whose details do they have? Not B’s. Whose money does A actually have? C’s. When C goes to the police, whose details do they have? B’s? Nope. A’s? So now “scamming the scammer into sending me money” becomes “taking money off a victim, who can only point law enforcement my way”. See the problem? A, in trying to mess with B has become a criminal by receiving money from C. Not such a cool thing to do now, is it?
Wayne

Unread postby Wayne » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:17 pm

Ways scams change in the time of COVID-19.

Scammers will jump on any opportunity to steal money from people. 2020 and beyond has seen a huge rise in scammers altering their formats slightly to cater to this. The end result is the same, but the big news story is now mentioned and woven into the scam. Here’s an example of two emails sent just over a year apart. It begins with the very first paragraph:

“How are you today? Hope all is well with you and family?,You may not
understand why this mail came to you.”

“How are you today? Hope all is well with you and family Please stay
safe from Covid-19 pandemic?, You may not understand why this mail
came to you.”

Simple enough so far. Let’s look a little further down:

“This email is to all the people that have been scammed in any part of
the world, the UNITED NATIONS have agreed to compensate them with the
sum of USD $100,000 (One hundred thousand United State Dollars Only).”

“This email is to all
the people that shut down their businesses because of the Corona
virus (COVID-19 pandemic) all over the world, Meanwhile the UNITED
NATIONS and the World Health Organization (WHO) have agreed to
compensate them with the sum of US$500,000,00 (Five Hundred Thousand
United States Dollars)”

Now it’s all to do with COVID, and they’re adding the WHO into the mix. Next we see this:

“This includes every foreign contractors that may have not received
their contract sum, and people that have had an unfinished transaction
or international businesses that failed due to Government problems
etc.”

“This includes every foreign contractors that may have not received
their contract sum, and people that have had an unfinished transaction
or international businesses that failed due to the covid 19 pandemic
disaster over the world etc.”

After that, the scam goes on pretty much identically. The amounts and names change and the claimed method of payment is altered from bank draft to ATM card, but the scam itself is the same:

“Therefore, you should send him your full Name and telephone
number/your correct mailing address where you want him to send the
Draft to you.”

“Therefore, you should send him your full Name and telephone
number/your correct mailing address where you want him to send the
Card to you.”

When COVID-19 is finally in the rear view mirror, scammers will be looking for the next emergency they can exploit to separate people from their hard earned money. The good thing is, they’re predictable, so we can anticipate and prepare for the next wave, then get the word out as soon as possible to help protect people from the scams.
Wayne

Unread postby Wayne » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:17 pm

What a year that was!

2020 was – interesting to say the least. The two main things we’ll remember from it are the COVID-19 pandemic and the American election. Of course, as with any event, scammers were all over it and adding it to their formats. We even had one scammer who appeared to be writing his formats based on things like Donald Trump’s COVID diagnosis and stay in hospital. Other scammers created sites that claimed to be selling face masks, PPE etc. but in reality had nothing to sell and just took money off their victims. A lot of our time this year was taken up dealing with those fake sites.

Numberwise, we did well. The figures are slightly skewed due to our switching to Cloudflare and not having accurate numbers for a few months the end of 2019, beginning of 2020 due to the stats not being set right. However, we can say that it looks like our numbers were up about 20% on the year before.

I say this every year, but the fact we manage this with nothing more than a group of 4 volunteers is nothing short of amazing. I hit my 15th anniversary in the antiscam world in December, and I can honestly say I have never in all that time worked with a better group of people than the ones you find on ScamSurvivors today.

Here’s wishing you all a safe, and scam free 2021. We’ll continue doing all we can to try and help keep you safe and keep getting the word out about the scammers and the new tactics they use.
Wayne

Unread postby Wayne » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:18 pm

Google Forms.

We try our best to keep a step ahead of the trends used by scammers as much as we can. We also like to report anything we spot, to help get the word out. This is one of those occasions.

For the past week or so we’ve seen a huge increase in the number of scammers using Google forms as the method of sending out their formats. In a study that took place over the space of 4 days and covered over 150 scam emails, we found that over 55% were sent via Google forms. Previously we may have seen up to 10%, but then it suddenly changed, pracically overnight. We have no idea what’s caused this switch, but it’s definitely something worth noting. If anyone has any idea why the scammers have suddenly switched to this method, please let us know.
Wayne

Baity McBaitface.

Most of what you see on the site is the serious side of what we do, but it’s nice from time to time to remember that some of us came into this from a different direction, and that’s the world of baiting. The oldest friendship here is Slappy and I, and that came about due to his seeing my absolute twisted side during a scammer call I’d set up for an internet radio show. I won’t go into too much detail, but it involved a romance scammer who was using a nonexistent orphanage as part of his scam being totally ridiculed and embarrassed during a series of calls set up by me for an internet radio show. Imagine being so taken by how sadistic someone was to a scammer, that you absolutely HAD to get to know them better. Since then, all four of us have made scammer calls together. Often it’s a way to blow off steam after a hard week of dealing with people who have lost everything to the scammers. We can’t go to a pub and have a few drinks, so we call scammers and mess with their heads. The baiting world is one where up is down, left is right, anyone can (and probably will at some point) be my wife, and scammers are there to be made to look foolish. Not all scammers of course, just the low hanging fruit in the scammer world. The reason you see calls with stupid scammers is that it’s the stupid ones we target. The smart ones aren’t going to fall for our stories and ridiculous scenarios, and we’re not going to risk alerting them to our presence by trying it with them. Let’s look at a few of the stupid ones though, and the things we did to them throughout the years.

“Robert Carbuccia” was the absolute worst of the bunch. What he lacked in smarts, he more than made up for in determination though. He’s about the only one we out and out told we were screwing with him, and we did so pretty much at the end of every call we ever made to him over the course of several years. At one point he mistook my very obviously Welsh accent for a German one and thought I was someone who’d sent money to him. We managed to get him to give us the email address of the person who’d sent us money and we managed to contact them to make sure they were aware they were dealing with a scammer. Carbuccia once changed his name to “Harley Davidson” and had a night of us calling him up making stupid motorcycle noises down the phone. These kind of calls are designed to get the scammer to turn off their phone for the night in frustration, so any potential victim wouldnm’t be able to get through to them, and would hopefully have the extra time to realise they were talking to a scammer and cut off contact.

“Tony Eze” spent an entire call telling me I would die, so we made a soundboard out of his threats, and called him back up using it. He spent time arguing with himself, confused as to why this unknown person would be telling him he would die.

One scammer pretending to be Lamidi Sanusi was called up and treated to a rant about a broken washing machine after we “mistakenly” thought he was part of the Zanussi company.

“Scoot” pretended to run an orphanage, and got the full treatment. Let’s just say you’ll never look at a banana the same way again.

“Pizza” calls involve us pretending to have called a wrong number and demanding a pizza. They’ve ended with scammers singing songs to a poor starving child waiting for her pizza to arrive, to having to deal with a profanity filled rant that included an F bomb approximately every 5 seconds.

Scammers have listened to us fight, flirt and f*ck during our calls to them, unaware we were actually in completely different parts of the country to each other.

We’ve had scammers tell fully grown baiters pretending to be children bedtime stories and prayed with them, then tried to pretend to be their own daughter by using a terrible falsetto voice which was received with nothing but laughter.

At least one scammer was convinced his email had resulted in someone killing his wife while on the phone to him, to very different results. It’s the only time we’ve heard a scammer sound genuinely scared.

Another completely lost it when Firefly spoke to him as a “spiritual healer”, giving us over 90 minutes of insane, ranting calls from him threatening everything from “The blood of Jesus” to “Holy Ghost fire”!

Scammers have sung everything from “African Queen” to “Happy Birthday” to “Summer Holiday” to “The Gamma Goochee” to the worst ever rendition of “I Believe I Can Fly” you could imagine.

Scammers have sung to my cat, have tried to persuade me not to turn up at their daughter’s wedding wielding sex toys, have agreed to a 3some with me and their wife, have called me “A drunkard and a drug addict”, prayed for a missing hamster and been called a bastard for choosing the wrong celebrity to present a fake check for a made up award.

We’ve offered to buy a scammer’s brain, made them marry us, convinced them we’d given their breakfast away to someone of a religion opposite to their own, got them to call sex lines, got them to call NASA, had them wear underwear on their head and basically made them believe in the completely crazy realities we created just for them.

This is the other side of the coin to what you see on our forum, but we still make sure to post up every scam we receive to warn others. We may not be fooled by them and may be able to use their own tricks and methods against them, but not everyone is as scam savvy as us. We have our fun, but we also do all we can to help keep people safe and aware of how the scammers work so they don’t lose any money to them. If you like the funny side, be sure to also get those scammer details posted. Sure, messing with a scammer can work for 20 minutes during a call, but the real damage is done by exposing him and the scripts he uses to the world. It’s not as fun, but it’s a hell of a lot more harmful to him and his bottom line and that’s where you really hurt him.
Wayne

Do you think he’d approve?

This is something I’ve discussed before, but I’m about to post a scammer’s script onto our forum that’s brought it back to the front of my mind. Can you guess what I’m going to talk about from this?

MAIL BOX isgoodtoknowgod@gmail.com

We’re back to scammers happily stealing money from people while at the same time praising God. I’m not a religious person, but it still quite frankly pisses me off seeing scammers do this. Their thinking is basically “If God didn’t want me to scam people, then he wouldn’t let me scam people”. The word “Maga” is the Igbo word for “fool” and is used to describe their victims, so the scammers would more accurately say “If God didn’t want me to scam, then he wouldn’t give me good paying magas”.

Let me make a comparison. If God didn’t want us to screw with scammers and post all their details up online, then he would stop them from contacting us in the first place. From this point on, every scammer’s format, email address, phone number, photo or any other piece of information posted on our forum is done with God’s blessing. After all, if he didn’t want us to expose the scammers, then he’d stop us. Our new slogan should be “ScamSurvivors – posting scammer info with God’s blessing”.
Wayne

Unread postby Wayne » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:19 pm

“Glen”.

I have a friend who, for the purpose of this blog post we’ll call Glen*. That’s not his name, but it is the first name of the person whose music I last asked Alexa to play, so it’s as good a name as any.

Now Glen is a salt of the earth kind of guy. He’d give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. This is the guy who fulfilled our youngest’s dream of being driven to his prom on the back of a big, powerful bike just because I asked him. What he isn’t however is computer literate. In the dozen or so years I’ve known him, it’s become common for me to have to slowly explain something to him 4 or 5 times, then write it down step by step for him to read once I’ve gone. He’s seen me on TV a few times, and knows what I do regarding scammers. Glen is the person I try to aim for when I write any scam information. He openly admits he doesn’t understand it, but will follow any steps given to him to the letter.

This weekend I was at Glen’s house, installing and explaining some new hardware for him. As usual I was telling him about the stuff that’s been going on and what to look out for. Today I had a call from him. The first thing I thought was that he couldn’t work out how to so something with his new hardware, but instead he told me that he’d almost been scammed.

Someone claiming to be from Amazon had called, saying he was due a refund. Being the trusting fellow he is, Glen followed along with the steps he was being given up until the point he was asked to put in his bank details. Thankfully, at that point he remembered my telling him to NEVER give your bank details to anyone he didn’t know, and to hang up if it happened. That’s exactly what he did. He hung up, spoke to his bank, and when they said he should speak to someone who understands computers so they can check everything for him, he called me. Luckily he cut off contact with the scammer before they got any information they could use, turned off his PC and even unplugged it from the wall to make sure they couldn’t do anything. Those who work with computers right now will likely be wishing everyone they dealt with was like Glen.

The good news is that Glen didn’t lose any money, the bank will call him should anything unusual happen with his account, and he’s now more than aware of how these scams work so won’t even let them get as far as they did this time in future. All in all, a good result. Plus, while I was up there I taught him a few new tricks he can use with his PC.

Glen isn’t PC literate. He still managed to save himself from being scammed though. All it took was for someone to talk to him about how scams work at a level he understood and could sink in. We all know a “Glen”. We all need to remember that we need to keep things simple enough for our “Glens” to understand when we talk to them. If we talk above them, then we may as well be talking to brick walls. We were all “Glens” once, let’s remember that.

*Why Glen? I live in the UK, but have been an AOR/MOR fan since I was in my early teens. Last night I was listening to Glen Burtnik. That’s the reason. There’s never any deep meaning where I’m concerned.
Wayne

Unread postby Wayne » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:20 pm

Where do you get your scam details from?

This is a question we’re asked quite a lot by the media. The answer is pretty simple. We create accounts specifically for the purpose, then make their details available in the places scammers go to looking for lists of email addresses and wait for the scam emails to roll in. Sometimes I see that a scammer hasn’t hidden all the other addresses he’s sent the scam to, and the same names turn up time and time again. Romance scams are a little different as we have to create profiles on sites we see mentioned a lot by the people who come to us for help. Same thing though, make your presence known and wait for the scammers to start contacting you. We never initiate contact, simply wait for them to say hello and go from there. There is more of an art to the dating site profiles as you have to be careful you’re not attracting genuine people. We only want the scammers.
Wayne

Next

Return to Blog.