Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

How to bait romance scammers - a quick and dirty tutorial.

If you want to bait, we want to keep you safe.

How to bait romance scammers - a quick and dirty tutorial.

Unread postby Wayne » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:27 pm

THIS OLD HOWTO SHOWS THE METHODS I USE WHEN BAITING ROMANCE SCAMMERS.

The first thing is to make an email account and find a site with a known scammer problem. Once you pick one, it's time to make a profile. There are positives and negatives to each type you make. Here's what they are:

1. The honey trap.
This one involves making an appealing profile. Photo of a good looking person, talk about things that show you have money, polite and friendly "about me". The obvious downside is that real people will click on it too, and some will pester the crap out of you. You need to know how to spot the genuine people and not reply to them.

2. The neutral profile.
Go for an average/slightly below average photo, put in as little detail as you can get away with. One problem with this is that people can assume it's a scammer profile because of the lack of detail. You're less likely to get a real person click on it, but also less likely to get a scammer to click on it.

3. The vinegar trap. My profile of choice. Ugly person in the photo, unappealing profile details. The problem with this one is that if the scammer actually reads it they'll be put off. The upside is that no one real will ever write to you. The one I have has never once had a real person contact it. The downside is that people may report it and it'll get deleted.

Once you've picked your profile type and made the account you wait. Sometimes it can take seconds, sometimes days until you get a hit. Don't go writing to people. What you want is for the scammers to come to you. By all means click on the obvious scammer profiles, but don't actually contact them. This is where a lot of baiters go wrong. If a scammer is approached, then they're less likely to reply back, or they do reply and are very suspicious, making it harder to get the bait going. They choose their targets, so you play like a target and let them come to you. Dangle your worm in the water and let the fishes nibble.

Now, when one does write, they may right away ask you to contact them offsite. That's perfectly normal. They know that their profile will be reported, so mass mail out their message in the hopes some will actually email/IM them before the account is gone. If asked why the account is gone, they'll say "Well, I found you so don't want to be on the site anymore". WE know better, but the average person wouldn't question it. If the site is less likely to close bad accounts, they may bide their time - ask how you are, ask you a few questions first. Do a Google Image search of the photos they use by going to images.google.com and try to see how many hits you get, or Google parts of their messages to see where else they turn up. This can give you a list of other profiles they have elsewhere.

You can play along and give them answers, but don't give them anything they can reuse. Short, polite replies are all you need. Give it a few messages back and forth and then you can say to them "Hey, do you have IM so we can chat easier?" if you're getting impatient, but don't rush it. Usually if at least a half dozen messages have passed between us with no email address then I'll use this tactic. Most will then give you their address. If they ask you for your address/IM then give it to them. After all, that's why you made the new account. Also, that way you can get their email headers as well as the email part of their script. If that's all you need then great job, well done. Post up all the details you have, and get the word out. Remember, the main focus should be protecting others from falling for the scammer. If you want to bait them further, then here's the next step.

Be polite. Play an actual victim with them, so they feel comfortable and won't walk away when you slap them later. Let them waste time with you. The more they spend, the more likely they are to come back no matter what. When the time is right, find something small and slap them for it. Don't make it something that will educate them. For example, if they claim to be one rank in the army but the photos are of someone in a different ranks, leave it be. Others may find the error and realise something's not right. The wording in the slap is important. You want them on the back foot having to make up for whatever perceived snub they've done. Don't say "You're an idiot", rather "Why are you treating me like I'm an idiot?". The scammer now has to get back in your good books. If you've played it right and given it enough time, the scammer will apologise, you begrudgingly accept their apology and as far as they're concerned everything is back on track.

Once again, be nice and friendly to them until you get to the point where they can almost smell the money. It's at this point that things take a turn for the ugly. For the scammer, anyway. Now you can let all hell break loose. You showed a friend a photo of your new girlfriend and he told you he's seen her naked photos online. Why are you having to send HIM money when he earns more than you do? Any excuse, but again nothing that can educate them. If the stars are aligned, at this point you can slap the everloving crap out of them. They've put in so much time with you and already apologised to you once. They've almost got their grubby fingers on your cash. They'll do ANYTHING to make you take that last step and actually send the money.

Now, how do you get rid of them at this point? Make the arguments worse and the demands crazier and crazier. Some will carry on and capitulate no matter how hard the slaps and no matter how crazy the demands. But eventually they'll admit defeat and give up. You haven't busted them as a scammer, and they're none the wiser. If anything, you've left them deeducated and more pliable for the next baiter who plays with them.
Click HERE for webcam blackmail/sextortion help.
Do NOT email me for sextortion help. Use the link above. If you ignore this, your message WILL be deleted.
Wayne
Site owner/"cruel and sarcastic" admin.

Return to Baiting help/advice/FAQs