Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

recovery and reassurance

Benefit from our years of experience with scammers.

Re: recovery and reassurance

Unread postby davidburton316 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:08 am

Thank you guys for your kind insights.
davidburton316
New survivor

Unread postby davidburton316 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:09 pm

I agree, Slaphappy. We all have control over our own lives. If you're on any kind of social network, secure it so you won't get hacked or anything like that.
davidburton316
New survivor

Unread postby Carwrap2017 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:11 pm

1 month now... I guess all is good. No News No Contact... I did all the steps and even went further with deleting my facebook and online presence. Still have some feelings here and there wondering if that video ever showed up to anyone. I never got the link so I didn't get a chance to have it removed.. The scammer said it was on an odd video hosting site not your normal youtube. So I called them to have a deep search made on my name nothing came from it.
Still that night and a week afterwards was the scariest.. It would ruin some things in my life. I had been drinking with a buddy after work came home and was lonely due to me and my wife having 4 kids not much time for romance. This person on facebook seemed legit and was 26 ... I said what the heck I will play along. As everyone else this happened. It is a scary ordeal to say the least. Google alerts never came up anything... So im still praying... I think i might want to get into cyber crime and bust these morons and low lifes...
Carwrap2017
New survivor

Unread postby SlapHappy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:41 pm

There is no way to hurt these scammers by anything you can do online besides post their details. Messing with them in any way just ends up hurting victims, or we would already be doing it. With a wife and children, a better idea is to spend your time being with them. Kids grow up fast, and they need all the time that you can give them.
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Unread postby sense » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:03 am

I was scammed ~20 days ago. All the contacts were stopped on the day itself. Based on the posts on this forum, hopeful that scammers will not come back. Started to move on.

During the scam since I couldn't pay, scammers ended up creating a fake account with my name and sending videos to couple of my friends who ended up watching it partially. This is something the most embarrassing part for me. If they wouldn't have posted it, I had to fight only with myself and try to forgive me over the time. But since my friends have watched it, it is making me feel the worst. How would I face them? Initially they had some respect for me, but now what they must be thinking of me? I am such a fool and stupid. I had worked in life to create a reputation, which was collapsed in minutes. I am such a jackass.

Please help me guys to get over the emotions.
sense
New survivor

Unread postby SlapHappy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:22 am

Well, I have given you my thoughts about this in PM, sense. I'll share what I said for the benefit of others who may be struggling with the same thing. If other survivors want to add their suggestions on how they got over it, please post them here.

You will find that family is much more caring and understanding than you think, and the subject probably won't even be brought up. They have their own problems themselves that they might not want to talk about, and are in their own boat by themselves, too.

Each survivor puts it behind them in their own way and each one takes their own time.
There is no specific time when life becomes "normal" again. It depends on your attitude and your own effort taken to do normal things. Go out with friends and have a few laughs, listen to music that you like, go out and take some relaxing walks somewhere. Don't sit and hide inside, staring at the computer all day long, googling your name every 15 minutes looking for something that will not happen.

Did you listen to the 2 podcasts? Did you read the entire 35 pages of recovery topic?
Many other victims have posted insights of their own and things they have done to recover.
Try doing some of them.

Interview with a blackmail survivor, a member of our website:
http://scamsurvivors.com/podcasts/ Click Playlist button in the upper left of the player. Scroll to podcast #11.

Interview with New Light, a blackmail survivor:
http://scamsurvivors.com/podcasts/ Click Playlist button in the upper left of the player. Scroll to podcast #16.

recovery and reassurance
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4509
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Unread postby SlapHappy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:13 am

Well, here is some good news that should make all of you blackmail scam/sextortion survivors feel a little better.
The nearly 17,000 forms that you filled, and all of the police reports that you made seems to have caught the attention of the Moroccan government. Thanks to your reporting, they will begin to fight against these blackmail scammers. :D
Hopefully, the Cote D'Ivoire and Philippine government will also step up their efforts as well.

Moroccan Police Set Up Laboratories to Fight Sextortion
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56483
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Unread postby sense » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:13 am

Its been 5 weeks since I was scammed. No contact with the scammer after that day. Blocked everywhere.

Activated FB back again. Changed the user name. Changed the email address. Tightened the security and privacy settings. Safe 1 week.

Life is getting normal. I no longer search on YT for the video. With the time life will get better. Its just that when I remember the incident, I get a emotional breakdown.

The major reason for that is 2 of my friends have seen that video. It is making me feel the worst. How will I face them?
sense
New survivor

Unread postby SlapHappy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:27 am

By holding your head up. This is such a close personal thing, I doubt they would dare to bring it up. But if either of them embarrass you over it, then you will know if they are really not your friend.
Ask them how they would feel if you saw one of them and busted their balls over it. Right? If they give you any more lip, then you know who not to waste any time with for the rest of your life, as a real friend would not do that.
I'd give them about 5 seconds to apologize under an icy stare, and walk away if they said nothing.
Or I might just say, "“He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone."
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Unread postby Imadeamistake » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:02 am

Hi All,

I haven't read most of the posts since my last time on this site as its been months since I last logged in. But I have read a lot of fearful posts by people who are rightfully shaken up by this experience.

It has almost been two years since I was scammed and a lot has happened in my life since the last time I wrote a post. My point is this, life will go on and what has happened is not the end nor does it have to define you.

You are your own person and yes someone managed to the get the better of you once, but you hopefully will learn from it and be able to see potential scams in the future. These people want money plain and simple and unfortunately this kind of crime is on the rise. In the UK the amount of victims has risen massively in the past year or so. It's featured recently in the media here as well. My point? You are not alone, nor are you the only one this has happened to. You will be okay!!!

To bring up a famous analogy on this site, if you are a broken ATM machine in so much that if you do not pay!!! They WILL leave you alone. Delete all social media sites, block all contact with the scammers and follow every word of advice from these guys who have experience in dealing with thousands of people going through this and you will be okay.

Life moves on, so will you.

Blessings
Imadeamistake
Junior survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Help and advice.