Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Question about social media scams

Ask here if you're unsure whether or not you're dealing with a scammer, and we can help. This section is hidden from search engines.

Question about social media scams

Unread postby jmac18 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Hello, I am seeking advice regarding reactivating social media and in particular, Facebook. About 5 and half years ago, I was contacted by a scammer who had a webcam recorded video of me. With the help of people from this website, I was able to get through everything. However, my case was a little bit different from the typical cases (according to the mods). When I refused to pay and deactivated my facebook account, the scammer created a fake profile of me and started requesting my friends and family and posted the video. Eventually, with help from this site and trusted friends, I was able to get that account removed. Some months later, I reactivated my facebook, but within a month or so was contacted again by the scammer via another fake profile of myself. The video was posted on the fake account, but I was able to get the account removed. I then deactivated my facebook again and have not used facebook since and have not been contacted by the scammer in anyway as well.

My main question is regarding starting a new facebook. I am in the process of a career change and part of my success in this new career will be having a facebook page with my name associated with it. I was just curious what is the likelihood that I could be contacted by the scammer again. I know in typical cases the scammer will have deleted the video and moved on, but this guy seemed different. I am still shaken and very apprehensive even years later and I just want to be sure I am safe before I make the decision to get back on facebook. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
jmac18
New survivor

Re: Question about social media scams

Unread postby SlapHappy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Make a new Facebook using a brand new email account and move on with your life.
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Return to Am I being scammed/Is this a scammer?