Site logo

Advert.
Switch to full style
Ask here if you're unsure whether or not you're dealing with a scammer, and we can help. This section is hidden from search engines.
Post a reply

Re: Concerned

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:17 am

If I figured the above out, with 100% certainty -- that she was a catfish -- should I report to local authorities?

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:06 am

Lastly (and so sorry for all these questions), I have concerns after educating myself more on this, that my videos could end up on sites like 4chan, i.e. the "darker" parts of the internet, without my name. Do you know the names of similar sites that I should be monitoring for content? Is there a way to set up "alerts" (not Google alerts) for these sites?

Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:00 pm

If I figured the above out, with 100% certainty -- that she was a catfish -- should I report to local authorities?
Again, no. If no threat of posting your pics online and/or no money demand, absolutely not.

Do you know the names of similar sites that I should be monitoring for content? Is there a way to set up "alerts" (not Google alerts) for these sites?
No and no. You really are working yourself up into a fearful state for nothing. There is no threat, there is no scam.

Why is it that the people with the least to worry about, worry and post every single worry without even reading the forum and finding out that their worries are totally unfounded and not based in any facts?

I suggest you stop posting and start reading and listening to the podcasts. Perhaps that will help you to stop the cycle of fear that you seem to have gotten yourself into.

Check out these four links to help you deal with the aftermath of the scam and to understand it better.

How Blackmail Scammers Think and Operate The Scam
http://www.scamsurvivors.com/forum/view ... 110#p52656

Interview with a blackmail survivor, a member of our website:
http://scamsurvivors.com/podcasts/ Click Playlist button in the upper left of the player. Scroll to podcast #11.

Interview with New Light, a blackmail survivor:
http://scamsurvivors.com/podcasts/ Click Playlist button in the upper left of the player. Scroll to podcast #16.

recovery and reassurance
http://www.scamsurvivors.com/forum/view ... f=3&t=4509

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:57 pm

Hi --

A couple weeks ago I ended up signing up for takedown monitoring services through the DCMA, after this incident.

12 days after the incident, on October 31, they came across a Facebook Profile that contained my first name and the first 7 letters of my 11-letter last name.

My last name is a very unique name. My family members are the only ones in the world who possess this name, and there are not many of us.

The profile apparently did not have any images of me. The profile picture was of a clown.

My Facebook account remains deactivated. My linkedin visibility remains on lowest setting.

I don't know how concerned I should be, if at all, and would like any advice, at the very least to quell this ever-evolving anxiety I am feeling. Have you ever heard of a similar situation?

Thank you

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:23 am

That search result has nothing to do with you, but is most likely an innocent person's FB account. I highly urge you to drop your crusade, and do not attempt to close that FB account on suspicion only. That profile has not made threats against you, so hands off.

Have you ever heard of a similar situation?

Yes, from another member who was obsessed and believed that a video must exist, even though he never saw it and the person never said they recorded anything. He used "wrong search methods" and found someone with his last name, but not the first, and another result was part of his last name but not spelled correctly in full. He insisted that this "proved his video existed," even when we tried to explain why the results showed videos but were not even his name and the links no longer existed besides that. We ended up telling him to seek professional help for his anxiety issues, as he sure was not scammed, and we deal with scams, not psychological issues. His account was deactivated after we told him not to post any more about his non-scam.

I suggest you move on and seek professional help for your anxiety. We cannot help you to purge these self-inflicted thoughts of doom from your head other than having you read what others have done to get over their scam and suggest you try some of the methods that they used, even though you were not scammed yourself. And I will repeat again not to post about your experience with that person here, as they were not a scammer.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:54 am

Fair enough. Just pointing out DMCA Defender -- a highly reputable service -- took it down automatically for appearing fake, not me. And if you read my post closely -- the profile picture was of a clown, and the name was exactly mine but for 4 letters.

In any event, I appreciate your feedback and will refrain from posting unless something "real" occurs. Thanks.
Post a reply