Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Romance Scam - Patrick Morris

This section deals specifically with online romance scams. The images used by the scammers are stolen from innocent people, usually from their social media pages.

Re: Romance Scam - Patrick Morris

Unread postby spacejockw » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:35 am

Thank you. I have some questions though.
I haven't been contacted by email yet but I suppose you guys felt like no new information is necessary. Is there any other way I can contribute or know about any other updates?
Also, I think my report might not be as effective if they are targeting my country and I haven't seen much stuff about scammers around here. I would appreciate other suggestions on what I could do around here about this report in order to warn more people.
spacejockw
New survivor

Unread postby firefly » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:11 pm

Depends on how much time you are willing to dedicate for warning more people.

You can start by educating yourself about scams and how they work and share that with people in your close circle of family and friends.

You can try to find journalists and citizens advice groups in your country willing to write about scams and raise the awareness.

You can also join a local group - if any - exposing online fraud.

Or you can become an active member here, exposing scams, and hope that people in your region will find about it before losing money.
Help yourself by helping others - report your scammer here.
Google can be your best friend;use it if you have doubts about someone met online. If someone met online only asks for money, no matter what reason, it´s 100% scam.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26504
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Charlie Eivind - LinkedIn

Unread postby firefly » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:30 pm

Posted on behalf of the victim:

I was contacted by a “person” on FB with the name Charlie Eivind.. (with a different photo). I looked through the internet and found a LinkedIn profile Charlie Eivind to inform him that somebody is using his name….
I contacted this man myself and during months of talking (first on LinkedIn ..later on Hangout) he explained me the life on container vessel.. we exchanged our country experiences…. I was happy to find a person to talk to after been locked into the house because of corona. I was also happy not to communicate with man who wants to call me all the time and see photos all the time… we started talking for a long time …nearly a year until he got into trouble and I helped him.
Well, one day he got into trouble because of the rising fuel prices … and the rest seems to be typical for scammers.. After the 2.payment he just vanished like sb cut the lines by the end of August 2021.
Later I scrolled back to the fake profile on FB and found exactly the same photo… This was my first shock!
I know many frauds are on FB ..but on linkedIn ? I often communicate there with people I hardly know from conference or work…or just by name from publications. I reported to police in Germany in the beginning of Sept. but was told they are not able to do anything (not much). I found some scam baiter group, but they cannot do much either as the scammer cut the connection… and they are not approaching him actively. They also told me that it makes no sense to cooperate with others who have been scammed with this profile. The photos are used by multiple scammers… so it makes no use to do a systematic investigation on marine scammers and their contact / bank details….. all I now my scammer was a well-informed as seafarer..he/she must be specialized in this field.
I am so shocked about the handling of such cases by police ! They told me the linkedIn Id used an IP in Cyprus … even until now they have’t been able to contact the Italian bank because of bureaucracy … The bitcoin transfer is also not possible to investigate… (no capacity..) Intern.

Later I found many others using the same photo … The real person is Mikael Rossen, Danpilot.(I did not contact him…just by internet research)

The photo I did not find in any other scams ..shows a relaxed person in front of roses… (garden lover:-) so this caught my attention:

Fake account used on LinkedIn:

Bank account used to receive 5.000,00 € from the victim as "family support":

HENRY A.
IT46 R031 1514 9000 0000 xxxx xxx
FINDOMESTIC BANCA SPA

Bitcoin wallet used to receive the equivalent of $17623:

bc1qzxzhexrcxs5geg7p8mqxg356c6rl2nkuv9qhh8
Google can be your best friend;use it if you have doubts about someone met online. If someone met online only asks for money, no matter what reason, it´s 100% scam.
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Re: Charlie Eivind - LinkedIn

Unread postby firefly » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:48 pm

Sadly, in such cases there is not much that a victim can do to recover the money lost.

Usually, a report need to be made with the police from the country where the victim is located.

The victim needs a case number for that fraud report.

With the case number, the victim needs to contact their bank and report the bank account used in fraud and ask for that fraudulent bank account to be frozen.

Until the entire procedure is done, the scammer already sent the money from that bank account to another bank account... meaning there will be no money left to recover.

The payments made to bitcoin wallets are almost impossible to be recovered. In most of the cases, the scammers are using a different wallet with each victim and that wallet gets closed after the scammer manages to obtain the money.

it makes no sense to cooperate with others who have been scammed with this profile. The photos are used by multiple scammers… so it makes no use to do a systematic investigation on marine scammers and their contact / bank details

100% agree with that - practically a victim has no chance to do this type of research, getting the type of results that might be admissible in a court of justice.

This is the law enforcement work, but only if the case gets reported and also if there are other instances of victims of the same scammer in the same jurisdiction. The main problem is that law enforcement have limited resources allocated for this type of fraud and the priority given to such cases in not high.

The best option, after reporting to your local police and your bank, is to make the scammers details public - email addresses, phone numbers, fake documents and stolen pictures they used, messages they sent.

It will not help you recover the money you lost.

It might not even get the scammer in jail.
In the best case scenario, the money mule (person receiving the money on behalf of the scammer) may end up having problems.

Still, it may help other potential victims dealing with the same scammer, if these victims are checking online before sending money to the scammer.
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Unread postby worriedfriend » Thu May 26, 2022 4:47 am

Did you ever find their email? A relative is being targeted by a "Nancy Patrick Morris" using the email patrickmorris6666@gmail.com
worriedfriend
New survivor

Previous

Return to Romance scams.