Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Dawson Alexander - nicholasbradonzzz@gmail.com

This section deals specifically with online romance scams. The images used by the scammers are stolen from innocent people, usually from their social media pages.

Dawson Alexander - nicholasbradonzzz@gmail.com

Unread postby dbzvin » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:54 pm

My mother is a victim of a romance scam back in June. We're still dealing with it. We reported it to the police, FTC, and credit cards. No one will help us.
* Credit cards will still hold us accountable (I am the primary card holder and my mother the authorized user, making me accountable for the debt)
* Police will only go so far
* FTC keeps the report in a drawer somewhere unless a miracle happens.
* We're looking for investigators and ways to resolve our financial situation (close to $40k)

Scammer's details

Name used:
Dawson Alexander / Nicholas Brandon

Email Used:
nicholasbradonzzz@gmail.com

Phone Number:
707-563-9249

Reddit post containing details.
https:/ /www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/9wss2n/my_mother_a_sweet_67yearold_divorced_woman_was/

More pictures the scammer used.

I have text message threads and FedEx Receipts which I can add to the thread as well.

Phone:
+17075639249
Number billable as geographic number
Country or destination United States
City or exchange location Vallejo, CA
Original network provider* Mcimetro Access Transmission Services Llc
Non-Fixed VoIP (e.g. Skype or Google Voice)
dbzvin
New survivor

Re: Dawson Alexander, Email/Pics

Unread postby Big Al » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:25 am

Please add as much information as possible. If any of the money was sent by Bank Transfer then please add that information too. I will report that information to the receiving bank(s) for investigation.

If you are a USA citizen then you should also contact whoever does your income taxes. Some scam losses can be recouped there.

Also, be careful of Recovery Scams. Someone claiming to be Law Enforcement stating they have caught the scammer and can get your money back. (For a fee of course)

Thank You,
"Look for the lies."
Being Blackmailed? Go here and do this first: https://blackmailscams.com/
The information you supply can help others from becoming Victims.
Big Al
"Little pee nut" admin.

Re: Dawson Alexander - nicholasbradonzzz@gmail.com

Unread postby firefly » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:04 pm

From the Reddit post:

My mother is a victim of a Romance Scam. The scammer persuaded her to make dozens of purchases amounting to $40K and ship them to an address in Texas. We're still hopeful, but there is no financial closure or justice to this and we wanted to share our story on reddit. What else can be done?

What Happened?
She met “Dawson Alexander” through a friend’s Facebook page between March 9th until June 28, 2018. She became friends on Messenger and later calls, text and emails became frequent...which developed into a “real" relationship. He started romancing the idea of retiring and coming to Miami from California to meet with her and our family; to get to know each other better. He wanted to plan a life together with her including marriage. He said he was in the oil rigging business and was not getting any job contracts for almost a year. He was a widower and single parent to his son, Brian, who was going back to college in NY state. All fake in retrospect, but that was his narrative.

As a month went by, he said that he was notified by a rigging company through his agent that they were going to award a contract in Texas. He went to Texas and was awarded the contract. He sent my mother many pictures and said he was going to get ready to travel from LA to Texas where the oil rigging job was to be.

Their relationship was constant, he talked with my mother every day, around the clock. So she felt it was a real person--someone she could confide in.

He claimed he had to sell his truck, other belongings, and took out all his savings from the bank just to stay afloat. He lost the previous contract, lost not only most of his savings. It left him with bad credit and much debt. He didn't have any other option but to ask her for help. His job, a high-paying contract, if carried through would pay for all his expenses and even help my mom out with some of her own debt. The story played out further in grievances over his “lost opportunity” if nothing happened soon and my mother was in debt already herself so helping him was not possible. But, Dawson thought of ways for her to help anyway.

It starting happening in small doses using her credit cards, money she doesn’t have. An iTunes card here, and small wire transfer there. And it became increasingly more aggressive to the point where he said he needed assistance or else he would lose everything. For him, it was an emergency to get highly important equipment to fulfill the rest of the project for his contract workers. What kind of equipment? Electronics like iPhones, iWatches, iPads, etc were purchased and then sent via FedEx. This was his way of carrying out the job in order to complete the contract work and get paid. Dawson would prohibit my mother from sharing any of this with her kids, me included, for “sensitive” reasons.

He always said he would pay her back anything she could offer. So, in trusting him, she literally did anything she could. My mother is very giving by nature. Today, she wished she put up a better fight and not let herself give as much as she did--hindsight is always 20/20. But, when you have real feelings for someone and you want to help them, sometimes you slip up. And this was a major slip up.

He said there was a way to help him through his “contract agent” by using her credit in order to get the gadgets required. He assured her that she wouldn't be left hanging and his only hope is to complete the technical requirement. He again said that after his contract was finished he would repay her any balance he owed her. After having several arguments, she finally felt she was going to trust him and allowed him access to one of her credit cards. As he kept insisting that I was his only hope.

After she saw that he did pay off the balance for one credit account, he asked to use another card so that it would not be a cause of alarm to the credit card company. His agent, who would know how to bring her credit limit up, raised it more. To further prove that he wasn’t taking advantage of her, he “helped” her by paying off my credit card balances all the way to zero. Naturally, she harbored suspicion and argued with him unaware of his methods. He kept saying that he trusted his so-called “agent” to take care of these expenses.

She asked him the questions only she knew to ask, a 67-year old divorced woman, but he insisted. He kept assuring her it was taken care of, that she would not be left with any debt. In fact, he promised to take away all her debts after he finished his contract, got paid, moved to Miami, and finally marry her.

My mother received a call from Chase Credit notifying her of recent payments coming from a fraudulent checking account. That’s when she panicked.

Immediately she told Dawson, and you would think he’d stop, admit right there and leave. No. He kept assuring her that there was nothing to worry about.

She tried logging in to the Chase Credit card account and wasn't able to. The account was closed and so were the other three credit cards ()multiple ones were used to “help” Dawson). She argued with him for days and told him she wasn’t going to continue and didn’t want to be a part of his life. That was on June 28th.

Right before that happened she called Fraud.org and reported it on June 20th--right after the call from Chase. She spoke to someone from NCL Fraud Center who said he would report the case to the FTC himself. He suggested I contact the credit card companies or the bureaus. We had to file the report ourselves since we can't rely on bureaucrats to do it for us. Fight as much as you can so more people in power can hear you.

What's the Damage?
The credit cards Dawson had accessed suddenly changed. Think of those payments like bounced checks, and when you discard those payments, you're left with a huge negative balance......over $40k in the negative.

Two credit cards are accounts she has with me, her son, in which I happen to be the primary account holder. I never used the cards, but in the eyes of the account papers, I'm 100% liable for them. My credit has been ruined too.

So you could imagine the emotional turmoil it puts me in. Feeling indirectly attacked by my mother's gullibility. But she's a great person, she's been there for me every step of the way and I fully admit she is the greatest mother I could ever have. That being said, I said what I had to say to her. I did my research to better understand what exactly happened to her and found that this is more common than I thought. So I have a lot of empathy towards my mom. She was taken advantage of, she did nothing wrong. Yes, she was careless. But I'm going to help as much as I can and so will she. In the end, family is more important than debt or a bad breakup, even the ones that were completely fake.

What Have We Done?
Police Report
We drafted a police report and submitted it to our local police. If we don't follow up it stays in their filing cabinet for eternity. So we're following up regularly.

Credit Card Reporting
We’ve called the credit card companies, hoping for reassurance. But no, they don’t dismiss those charges due to the fact that they were purchases made in person--my mother was there with the card, and they were able to back it up with merchant surveillance video if they needed it. Places like the Apple Store, Best Buy, or Walmart would have cameras. So if we claimed she didn't use the card herself:

It would be dishonest

They could disprove that in an aggressive investigation.

Things We've Collected
Saved all receipts

Apple, Walmart, FedEx, etc. (Apple has IMEI numbers for all the phones)

Saved all text messages to a PDF (using a third-party app)

Person searched the name of the recipient on the receipts. They were signed for.

A Google search proves it's a real person in Texas.

Note, this could be a real person whose identity was stolen. So we'll leave the investigators to determine that.

Investigation
We've reached out to public and private investigators. 99% of these creeps get away with it but we'd be remiss if we didn't try to catch them. A constable in Canada, Sarah, arrested one scammer that lives in their local area, and we've reached out to her. We've established communication with the police station from Texas.

Aftermath. What Else Can Be Done?
No leads at all so far, and likely never will be. This guy got away with electronics and left my mother heartbroken. If we can't find any financial restitution, we have to put our best foot forward healing the wounds for now and that is why I am posting on this subreddit.

Preventing it is the best mechanism. Every institution we've called to rectify this has repeatedly said, "there's nothing we can do." Really, there isn't. As common as these scams are, there is no safety net to protect us. I've tried looking, but the results are bleak. If you're dealing with the aftermath of a scam, I understand what it's like. These people are criminals, and they've figured out a way to rob people without you knowing it's happening. So keep a sharp eye on your affairs, scams are bound to cross your path more than once. This one took a hold of my mom's heart, and she's been destroyed since this experience.

We're coping as best we could. My mother, although it's harder for her, is slowly rebuilding trust in the kindness of strangers. Not everyone is going to treat you right, but I still hold out on the hope that there are better angels in our nature.
Help yourself by helping others - report your scammer here.
Google can be your best friend;use it if you have doubts about someone met online. If someone met online only asks for money, no matter what reason, it´s 100% scam.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26504
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Unread postby firefly » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:08 pm

A fake profile using the same stolen picture is still active on devoted.singles:

frank williams martins
64, Man, Single
Great Stukeley, United Kingdom
Looks for: Woman 56 - 70 years
Within 100 kms
Long-term dating, Short-term dating, Friendship
Google can be your best friend;use it if you have doubts about someone met online. If someone met online only asks for money, no matter what reason, it´s 100% scam.
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Unread postby firefly » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:24 pm

dbzvin,

A valid option would be to file a complaint with the FBI here: https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx. Be sure you provide the case number from the complaint you made with your local police and all the other relevant details you have about the fraud.
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Unread postby dbzvin » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Thank you. I submitted a report to the IC3 FBI site.

How can I share with you the receipts, or text messages privately?
dbzvin
New survivor

Unread postby dbzvin » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:58 pm

firefly wrote:A fake profile using the same stolen picture is still active on devoted.singles:

frank williams martins
64, Man, Single
Great Stukeley, United Kingdom
Looks for: Woman 56 - 70 years
Within 100 kms
Long-term dating, Short-term dating, Friendship

Wow! I couldn't even find the stolen photos when I tried.
I can't see his other pictures because I'd have to register. I don't want to register either.

Do you think it's fake?
What indicates that it's fake?
Do his other pictures match the ones the scammer sent?
dbzvin
New survivor

Unread postby Big Al » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:03 pm

You can use Firefly's E-mail address. It's at the bottom of every post if you haven't noticed.
"Look for the lies."
Being Blackmailed? Go here and do this first: https://blackmailscams.com/
The information you supply can help others from becoming Victims.
Big Al
"Little pee nut" admin.

Re: Dawson Alexander, Email/Pics

Unread postby dbzvin » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:50 am

Big Al wrote:Also, be careful of Recovery Scams. Someone claiming to be Law Enforcement stating they have caught the scammer and can get your money back. (For a fee of course)

Thank You,

I was looking into these options...
I spoke with them on the phone:
[https://www.mccarthylawyer.com/debt-law-firm/]
...or...
Haven't yet:
[https://www.nationwidedebtreductionservices.com]
dbzvin
New survivor

Unread postby firefly » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:59 am

A good option could be to search for free legal aid in you area - there must be pro bono lawyers specialized in online fraud that can assist you in this matter.
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Return to Romance scams.